Fresh water and salt water fly fishing in New Zealand and Australia. Brought to you by Riverworks waders, wading boots, vests, jackets, fly rods and reels.

Jack Kos – The not so big-t

In order to break up the monotony of city living I spent a few days last week up in Turangi with Isaac. I was planning on doing an epic report complete with heaps of video footage of indicators diving and rainbows taking to the air…but, I’ll be honest with you, the fishing was seriously tough.

When I arrived at about 7:30am the river was incredibly low and gin-clear. Instantly the prayers for rain began. Isaac already had one fish to the bank…and that’s the way the stats stayed until about 3pm when Isaac managed another on the wetline. Just before dark I managed to drop the only fish I hooked at the tail end of a long drift. Still, it was a pretty gorgeous day on the river…

We were staying at the Tongariro River Motel. What a primo place to stay on a fishing trip (electric blankets)! Ross, the owner, is about as in touch with the angling scene as anyone possibly could be. Turns out he’s also a bloody good bloke (if you want proof then have a look at this ). After the saltiest feed of fish and chips imaginable we went out for a night fish at one of the river mouths. Other than tearing my sinking line to pieces we met with abject failure. Pity that.

The next day was christened off bright and early with two true trophies from the Tongariro. Oh alright, they were 6 inches long – but they were the first fish I’d landed in about 2 months! I did manage to drop one good fish after getting a good look at it. Once they hit that current… goneburgers. We did manage to get into a few good fish following a change of tactics. The best of which was this thickset model…

Another feed of fish and chips (less salty this time) resulted in a food-induced coma that led to a bit of a lie in the next morning. It was bucketing down by the time I woke up, and that didn’t change all day. Funny how the rain comes on the day we’re leaving. I’d love to say we finished off with two 6lb bows a piece, but things kinda fizzled out. It was a long drive home and I was shattered by the time I made it back to Wellington. Then I went and got really drunk. Life is tough when you’re on holiday.

3 responses

  1. I’m blaming the hat, personally.

    July 10, 2011 at 10:26 am

  2. Dundee

    Cool report that trout had some beaut colour.Were ya shakin in ya waders when the eathquake hit?

    July 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm

    • Didn’t even feel it! Guess I must have been wading at the time.

      July 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Leave a Reply to Dundee Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s